Banking is one of the most fundamental sections of any economy. It facilitates everything from very simple purchases to complex investments like real estate. But the banking industry is quite easy to understand if you have the right guidelines.
With that in mind, I was able to compile a list of the 10 Best Banking Books that will completely change your life. Since time immemorial, some of the mistakes in the banking industry seem to recur. That’s why you need to check some of the past histories to get a clear picture of the future.
- The Bitcoin Standard By Saifedean Ammous: This book delves into the emerging realm of cryptocurrencies, particularly Bitcoin. It provides insights into why and how Bitcoin has become a significant player in the financial world.
- The Successful Lender’s Field Guide By Chris Nichols: Penned by a seasoned banking professional, this book offers a comprehensive view of the banking world, emphasizing understanding various bank operations and building fruitful banking relationships.
- The Secret Life of Real Estate and Banking By Philip J. Anderson: Anderson reveals the true cycles of Real Estate investments, explaining their connection to banking and dispelling the myth that real estate is always a safe bet.
- Banking on Our Future By John Bryant: Focusing on financial literacy for the next generation, this book provides guidance on educating young ones about the banking system and financial management.
- America’s Bank By Roger Lowenstein: A historical take on America’s Central Bank, this book unveils the stories of the major players who shaped the banking landscape we see today.
- The Greatest-Ever Bank Robbery By Martin Mayer: This book offers an in-depth account of the Savings and Loan Crisis of the 1980s, presenting an accessible understanding of the circumstances and forces at play.
- Last Man Standing By Duff McDonald: Detailing the life and achievements of renowned banker Jamie Dimon, CEO of Chase, this book gives readers insights into the journey of one of the modern banking industry’s most influential figures.
- After the Music Stopped By Alan S. Blinder: A Dissection of the 2008 financial crisis, Blinder breaks down its complexities, offering a lucid analysis of one of the most tumultuous times in banking history.
- Panic on Wall Street By Robert Sobel: Focusing on financial panics, this book touches on significant historical financial downturns, including the Great Depression.
- Wriston By Philip L. Zweig: Highlighting the accomplishments of Wriston, who played a pivotal role in elevating Citibank and the US to global banking prominence, this book provides a captivating look at banking evolution.
These banking books will help you understand more about how to get through the industry and become successful now. If you have that million-dollar dream, then you need to pay close attention.
1) The Bitcoin Standard By Saifedean Ammous
I’m sure the word Bitcoin has crossed your ear in one way or the other. The cryptocurrency world is a new contender in the banking industry. And contrary to most opinions, it might be here to stay for some time.
You need to get ahead of the game and know what the crypto world is all about. When programmers introduced this system, it was passed off as a simple joke. But today, the crypto world is making waves more than anything on the internet.
The Bitcoin Standard is one of the best banking books in the business. You will learn about all the strings that are relevant to getting you started in the crypto world. If you are wondering why Bitcoin is so different, then here’s an opportunity to learn about it.
2) The Successful Lender’s Field Guide By Chris Nichols
Chris is a Chief Strategy Officer and has been in the banking industry for about 25 years. As an experienced Chief Strategy Officer, Chris was able to make one of the best banking books in the market.
The book is written in a way that is very easy to understand. With the different banks cropping up in our society today, every bank has its own unique way of doing things. This book acknowledges such differences and it enlightens the readers on what to do.
The Successful Lender’s Field Guide explains both a layman’s and banker’s point of view by clarifying the mysteries in the banking world.
You will be able to establish a good banking relationship. And at the same time relate with professionals in the same industry.
If you are wondering about the future of the banking system, then check out this book for more details on the same.
3) The Secret Life of Real Estate and Banking By Philip J. Anderson
In the world we live in today, most people are investing more in house prices rather than shares. As most have found out, house prices can also drop drastically. Yet no one has ever mentioned such advice in any text whether current or in the past.
Most texts state that real estate is almost a risk-free investment. The Secret Life of Real Estate and Banking is for the first time one of the few best banking books that actually confess this fact. Philip manages to show the world the real cycle of Real Estate investment.
This book best explains the downturn of such investments, the connection of real estate to the banking system, and banking failures that possibly connect to the Real Estate world. You really don’t want to miss these facts.
The only way you will get a true investment in real estate is if you know how the cycle operates. As an investor, this book is in your best interest. The author plots an 18-year plan which shows the progress of the real estate cycle. Get more of this cycle.
4) Banking on Our Future By John Bryant
John Bryant has been crowned one of the most promising future leaders. He has managed to start a number of companies that actually piqued the attention of the entire world.
The future of our nation is mostly concentrated on the next generation. That means the kids around us need to be educated about the banking system.
John Bryant started a foundation that aims at educating the young generation. Now you have the chance to get on board using this book.
Through this book, you will learn how to talk to your kids and explain to them about the banking system. John clearly comments on how to manage your finances. Get the chance to educate both you and your family on how to manage finances.
5) America’s Bank By Roger Lowenstein
This banking book shows the History of America’s Central Bank. Despite all odds, the bank was created and manifested to be one of the greatest banks today. Through this book, you will learn about the history of big governments and banks.
America’s Book by Roger explains how some of the biggest regulators were put in place to ensure the success of Banks. At the same time, the formation of these regulators made sure that banks operate in a way that will not hurt the global economy.
The story behind this book revolves around four people who made this banking system possible. Take your time to see the history behind the huge banks you get to see on your way to work every day.
I’m sure by now you know that banks had a rough time in the 1980s due to the Savings and Loan Crisis. This happened to be one of the most terrifying times in the U.S. Many banking books have been written ever since then trying to explain what happened.
However, Martin Mayer has managed to write a comprehensive book that is quite easy to understand. The Greatest-Ever Bank Robbery walks readers through the forces that were responsible during this crisis.
Take a walk through one of the greatest bank robberies of all time. You also get the chance to see how far our banking system has reached since then.
7) Last Man Standing By Duff McDonald
Most bankers either have books written about them or about their experiences at work. That is because they encounter customers who completely don’t know about the banking world.
However, finding the right banking book with relevant information that will actually make a change in your life is hard.
Luckily, McDonald’s short biography about Chase CEO Jamie Dimon is one of the best banking books. This book manages to talk about Dimon who is one of the few great bankers in the world today.
Through the Last Man Standing, you will be able to learn about the willingness and ability of Dimon to make his way to millions. This is one of those books you must have on your shelf.
8) After the Music Stopped By Alan S. Blinder
The financial crisis the year 2008 was one of the most devastating periods in finances. But the good this is that this period caused a flood of new Banking Books in the market. One of my favorite banking books of all time is After the Music Stopped by Alan S. Blinder.
This book takes the readers through the history of the crisis bit by bit. Even though the crisis is something that’s quite impossible to explain, Alan manages to do a masterful job by showing the readers the financial crisis of all time.
9) Panic on Wall Street By Robert Sobel
The banking world has a lot of strings and sections attached. And that being the case, for you to actually grasp all about banking, you need to read about all these sections. The best way is to search for some of the best Banking books.
One section that you cannot avoid is Financial Panic. And for you to understand Financial Panic you need to read this book by Robert. Panic on Wall Street is a good place to start. You even get the chance to know more about the Great Depression.
10) Wriston By Philip L. Zweig
Truth be told, Wriston almost led Citibank to its knees on more than one occasion. But don’t let that fool you. He is one of the strongest people to have brought the evolution of the banking system in the U.S.
This Banking Book sheds light on the achievements of Wriston and how he spearheaded Citibank and the U.S. as a whole to international banking levels.
I hope from the list above you can personally connect to one of the books. Remember, if you need to understand the banking system, take time and see the historical background. This proves helpful especially when you are trying to avoid mistakes that tend to recur.