eBay Inc. is an international eCommerce company that is recognized as a trusted platform all over the world. The company is headquartered in San Jose, California, and is registered as a public company in NASDAQ. eBay Inc. was founded in 1995 and was formerly named AuctionWeb.
Iranian-American computer programmer Pierre Omidyar founded AuctionWeb. The name was changed to eBay in 1997, and Meg Whitman was hired as eBay president in 1998.
The company’s business model is a consumer-to-consumer eCommerce platform where the sellers can directly sell to the consumers. eBay’s revenue source is transaction fees and marketing services from the sellers registered on the platform.
eBay Inc. has over 11000 employees working in different internal departments. Recently, the company decided to lay off over 500 employees, which is 4% of the total workforce. It means that hundreds of employees will soon be former employees of eBay.
As a current or former employee of eBay, you might need to access your paystubs and W2 forms for tax purposes. In today’s article, we will guide you on how you can get your paystubs and W2s as a current or former employee. We will also guide you on getting tax documents from eBay as a seller on the platform.
- eBay is an eCommerce platform headquartered in San Jose, California. The company has over 11,000 employees working in different locations around the world.
- The current and former employees of the company can request their paystubs from the company by contacting the HR department or requesting the paystubs at your mailing address.
- The current and former employees of the company can request their W2s from the company’s HR department or from the IRS.
- The sellers on eBay won’t receive the company’s W2 forms, but 1099-K will be issued to sellers who have made sales above $600.
What Is Form W2?
Form W2 is a tax document employers must send their employees annually. The IRS and Social Security Administration requires employers that the Form W2s must be sent out to the employees before 31st Januaryof every year.
The formal name of W2 is Wage and Tax Statement; the other form, W3, is used along with W2 for the calculation of social security benefits for every employee. The Form W2 of every employee contains information like gross wages, tips, bonuses, taxes withheld, mandatory contributions to retirement plans, insurance, net salary, etc.
In short, Form W2 summarizes everything related to your gross income, taxes, contributions, and net income to be used for tax filing.
What Are Paystubs?
Paystub is usually a digital document that employees get with their payslips and contains information about wages, salaries, deductions, contributions, withholding taxes, etc. The federal government doesn’t require companies to provide their employees with monthly paystubs. However, the state governments and tax departments might require employers to provide their employees with monthly pay stubs.
The contents of the pay stubs are as follows:
- General information about the employee, like postal address, employee ID, full name, etc
- Pay period beginning, ending, and pay date
- Gross wages or salary of the employee based on total hours worked
- Tax deductions from the gross wages that include social security tax, medicare tax, withholding tax for federal and state taxes, etc
- Voluntary and involuntary deductions
- Employee benefits deductions like health saving accounts, life insurance, retirement contributions, etc.
- The last part of an employee’s paycheck stub has the net salary credited to his account after all deductions and taxes are withheld.
How To Get Paystubs As A Current Employee Or Former Employee of eBay?
Whether you are a current employee of eBay or have been working there in the past, you might want to access your monthly pay stubs. Whether you’re a current or a former employee of eBay, you will need to contact the company’s payroll department or HR department and ask for your pay stubs. However, a general practice of issuing paystubs to the employees.
Here are general ways for both current and former employees of eBay to get their paystubs from the company:
Current employees of eBay can log in to their benefits account on the Alight portal and view their monthly paystubs or download them. Once you have joined the company, you can register for the portal and get access to your resources, including the monthly paystubs. However, the company’s former employees can’t access their paystubs from the Alight portal.
Contact The HR Department
If you’re a current company employee and want older paystubs, you can contact the HR department or payroll department to provide you with your paystubs. The former employees can also contact the relevant HR department or visit the office to request their paystubs from eBay Inc.
Receive It On Your Mailing Address
If you’re a former employee of eBay, you can contact the HR department of eBay Inc. and request the relevant personnel to issue your old paystubs and mail them to your address.
How To Get W2s As A Current Employee Or Former Employee of eBay?
Unlike paystubs, W2s are a mandatory document employers must send employees before 31st January of every tax year. If we talk about eBay, the company has not disclosed much information on how the current employees can access their paystubs from the company’s portals.
Therefore, it is understandable that eBay Inc. issues the W2s to all employees at their mailing addresses. Similarly, if the old employees of the company want to access their W2s, they can contact the company’s HR department and request them to send the W2 form to the mailing address of the former employee.
If the employer doesn’t provide his current or former employees with the W2s within the prescribed time, there is an option to contact IRS. W2s of up to 10 years can be requested from the IRS. eBay’s former and current employees can contact the IRS to issue copies of old W2s at the mailing address.
Tax Forms When Selling On eBay
Besides the employees of eBay, the sellers on the platform are also concerned about tax documents. If you’re a seller on the eBay platform, you might wonder if the company will send you the W2 to file a tax return. However, it is important to note that the W2 form is Wage and Tax Statement that an employer issues to the employee.
As a seller on the eBay platform, you won’t receive a W2 form. Instead, the company will send you a 1099-K to report the sales and revenues you have generated from eBay sales.
If your sales on eBay exceed the minimum threshold of the IRS, you will receive the Form 1099-K by 31st Januaryof every tax year.
The minimum reporting threshold of the IRS for the year 2023-24 is $600, and there is no information about the threshold on a minimum number of transactions.
How To Login and Register For the Alight Portal?
The Alight portal is the eBay benefits website, where the employees of the company will need to register and log in to access your resources. Here is the step-by-step guide to register and login to the Alight portal:
Register For Alight Portal
- Visit the official website of the Alight portal for eBay benefits here.
- Click on the New User button to open the registration page for Alight.
- Enter the last four digits of your SSN and choose your date of birth.
- Click on Continue and follow the on-screen prompts to complete the registration.
- Once you see the Completed Successfully message on the screen, your account registration is completed.
Login To Portal
Here is how to log in to the eBay benefits portal:
- Visit the official website of the Alight portal for eBay benefits here.
- Enter your username and password in the empty fields.
- Click on the Log On button.
- Once you’re signed in, you can access the resources and benefits as an eBay employee.
FAQs About eBay W2s and Paystubs
Where can I view my pay stubs?
You can view the paystubs you have received along with your paycheck. eBay’s online portal for employees allows on-site employees to access their paystubs from the company.
Does eBay send you a W2?
If you’re an employee of eBay, the company is required to send you the W2 by 31st January of every tax year. However, if you’re a seller on the platform, you won’t receive the W2 but the Form 1099-K if the minimum IRS threshold is exceeded.
How do I get my tax documents from eBay?
You can access your tax documents from eBay as a seller on the platform by following these steps:
Payments > Open in New Window> Payment Reports and Taxes > Form 1099-K > Detailed Request Report.